Frozen Alfa

Tonight the weather in Belgrade improved slightly. The sun has been shinning for the last two days, a welcome relief to the normally dimmed greyish skies than usually surrounds the city during winter. It also rained briefly for several minutes, catching pedestrians by surprise as all of them seek shelter at nearby shops and bus stations along Vojvode Steppe.
As for myself, I was lucky to have my trusty Alfa to bring me to the nearest Maxi store to get some sodas and fruits. The fear of encountering Black Ice is always on my mind as I took the road with average speed of 30 to 40 km/h and watching closely the cars ahead of me for signs of over steer as i headed to my destinations.
After reaching home with the goods, I took a sigh of relief and patted myself for "another successful mission completed". As i parked the car in front of the driveway, I could feel the strong breeze starting to blow. Cold icy winds screeching and numbing my face, as i hurried indoors with my grocery bags.
Night came early during winter. By the time my first guests arrive at 4 p.m, street lamps and Christmas decoration lights had been lid up. The winds is still blowing and i noticed that my pavements is now covered by ice, pretty usual for this kind of weather as temperature outside falls between -2 to -5 Celcius after sunset.
However, I was never in my life would expect to find out that cars would be frozen as well in this weather. As I sent off my guests after dinner, I noticed that the car had not responded to the remote I was using to unlock it. To make things worst, the door could not be open either. It appears that the drop in temperature have shrunk the car chassis, causing it to squeeze the door frame with tremendous pressure.I finally decided to leave the car alone and to give it another try tomorrow.
UPDATE:
It worked! As temperature rose to 0 celcius this morning, I managed to open the doors effortlessly this morning.
0 comments:
Post a Comment